Saturday, March 6, 2010

Rice Pudding

I you were to put a dessert selection in front of me you would find that I would grab the tapioca before the cake. Sweet and creamy always comes first. The little bumps in rice pudding are far better than a cake to me. When I was growing up, Mom always made box pudding or jello for dessert. And yes, we did typically have dessert with every meal which we ate at home - every day. I only remember my Mom making this once. It's my grandmother's recipe, and I appreciate it much more than I did back then.
















I like this best warm from the oven. The raisins are all soft and everything is singing sweet comfort.

Rice Pudding
1 cup cooked rice
3/4 cup golden raisins
1 can evaporated milk
1/4 cup water
2 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine cooked rice and raisins in a 1 quart casserole; set aside. In mixing bowl, beat together remaining ingredients until smooth; pour over rice and raisins. Place casserole in pan of hot water. Bake at 350 for 50 to 60 minutes or until custard is set. Be careful not to overcook as it will dry out. You can stir in a couple of tablespoons of butter at this point, for extra moisture and flavor. Cool and serve. Garnish with cinnamon and currants if desired.

Rice Pudding on Foodista Print This Recipe

0 comments:

Post a Comment