Saturday, February 13, 2010

House Salad Dressing

This is more memory than recipe. It's funny how memories change over time. When I was a kid, mom always made the homemade salad dressing below and I thought it ordinary and boring. It wasn't until I was a teenager that store-bought dressing made it's entrance into our kitchen. Like all tired old things, this dressing became a thing of the past as we sampled all of the new flavors that came from the bottles. Bottled dressing now tastes strangely - "bottled" to me. It's too salty and too vinegary, or just too artificial. I kind of miss the taste of the homemade stuff. And when my mother died in 2007, I began to recall all of those silly concoctions my mother made. Like her fruit salad - a canned pineapple ring with a gob of cream cheese in the middle. And this salad dressing, once banal and ordinary, it now sparkles with her memory.
















It's a simple dressing, and pretty cheap to make. I don't recommend substituting the Heinz Tomato Ketchup for any other brand. Blame it on being from Pittsburgh if you must. This ketchup is a part of my history and my city's history. Heinz Tomato Ketchup and Clark Bars rule!

House Salad Dressing
1/2 cup Heinz Tomato Ketchup
1/2 cup Miracle Whip

Mix together well and drizzle over a fresh crispy pile of iceberg lettuce. You can thin it with some milk or water if you wish, but I like it just how it is! Print This Recipe

0 comments:

Post a Comment