Saturday, February 27, 2010

Sour Cream Cucumber Salad

It's interesting how recipes change with each cook who makes it. This recipe was a favorite of my grandmother and my mother. It was always on the table at parties and gatherings. It's not something I liked at first, but I have grown to love it. When my mother made it, the salad was more soupy and spread all over the plate. I am one of those people who believes that all inhabitants on the plate should keep to their own turf unless purposefully mingled by the supreme authority (that's me!) Gravy! Keep to your side of the plate - stay out of the corn! Hence my Cucumber Salad has a bit more body and is less disobedient. My mother and I also argued over the salt in the recipe. But I personally sat with my grandmother with notebook in hand and got the exact recipe as she made it - with salt!
















This stuff doesn't last long in my house. I am lucky if I get one serving. The gremlins leave me nothing but an empty bowl if I dare leave it to chill overnight. Guess I need to make more!

Sour Cream Cucumber Salad
6 large cucumbers
1 medium onion, sliced thin
2 heaping tablespoons Kosher salt
12 ounces sour cream
2 tablespoons sugar
Additional salt, to taste

Peel and remove seeds from cucumbers and slice thinly. You can leave on some of the green cucumber peels and use red onions for a bit of color, as this salad is very white. Combine with sliced onions in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of Kosher salt and cold water to cover. Refrigerate overnight until cucumbers and onions are wilted. Drain and squeeze out extra juice from the vegetables. (Squeeze them good or the salad will be too salty and too runny). Stir in sour cream, sugar and season with additional salt to taste. Serve yourself a bowl and hope there are some left when you return for seconds!

Cucumber Salad on Foodista Print This Recipe

0 comments:

Post a Comment